Ik heb vanmorgen vroeg een bloem ontmoet
Een haastige ontmoeting in de tuin
Zij keek mij aan met allebei haar ogen
Ik heb haar toegeknikt en lang geaarzeld
En langzaam groeide ik tot bloem van binnen
Een blauwe hemel sloop over mijn zinnen
Mijn handen werden kelken van gebaren
Mijn mond werd rond, mijn lichaam lang en tenger
Ik boog mij neer in het verbaasde gras
En voelde aan mijn haar de ochtendwind.
Rose Harvest in Turkey, May - June
It's half past four in the morning when a warm glow fills the lush fields. A rose colour brightens up the Isparta and Burdur area in Turkey and the birds are singing. Roses with morning dew on their petals welcome a new day.
The surrounding villages slowly come to life, people get ready for another day of picking roses that will be turned into fragrant rose oil and hydrosol later that day. Every year I'm again excited to experience this heart warming process in the months of May and June.
Somewhere in the fields or the factory you'll find Joanne. Sometimes by herself and sometimes together with colleagues, groups or journalists. Other aroma therapists from all over the world visit her as well to join her masterclasses. It's Joanne's passion to share this place, the people that live and work here and the rose's enchanting story with anyone. No wonder that's exactly what she's been doing for more than 20 years.
You can experience the rose harvest as well! That's because since 1999 AromaWise and distilling company Sebat have been working closely together. Whether you're an aroma enthusiast or a professional, AromaWise will have a suitable program for you.
Contact AromaWise and we'll tell you all about our programs.
- You need seventy velvety flowers to distill just one drop of rose oil
- To create one kilogram of essential rose oil you need a truck load of up to four thousand kilograms of roses
- This rose oil is also called the Gold of Isparta
- Mustafa Ismail Efendi, a Turkish innovative trader, brought the Rosa Damascena, or the Turkish Damast rose, to Isparta in 1888
- Even Cleopatra herself would only use rose enriched bath water